Saturday, February 5, 2022

My Week in Gaming

 This is the first of this type of post and so it shall be a bit longer. The day of the week might change but its hard to find the perfect day.

I shall cover my games, writing, and whatever seems relevant in these (hopefully) weekly posts.

Games

I am currently playing in 4 campaigns. This is fun but has derailed some of my other activity, along with other things that have come up.
Monday is normally A Thousand Tiny Gods or ATTG but were on hiatus as one of the players was saddled with a lot of overtime over the holidays, actually putting him the hospital. The temporary replacement is a Hylen campaign for which I blogged a bit on Realm management and is a fun campaign that started as a one shot and we play a couple times a week.
The campaign is fun but hit or miss as one of the players is unsatisfied with various retcons and changes and that carries over. The players and GM are fun to hang with and when the game is on its great. When it crashes I get depressed for a few days.
Friday is a new campaign. The GM is running a noncinematic Technomancer campaign. We have had one session and a couple of session 0s, lost a player, the GM is trying to learn Foundry as we go and get used to running again. Its rough but has potential and I expect it to work out.
Saturday every other week (roughly) is the only non GURPS game.  Dresden Files using FATE.  Good group, love the setting. It has had a few rough spots where we had too many players but things seem to have settled down and I generally like it.
Sunday another every other week campaign. Been a very slow start as my character was premade and already in a game thats been running for two years.  Taken me awhile to get a good grasp of what is going on and how the character works. I spent most of the first few games just listening while everyone else did something and my character was not involved.  the last two sessions my character started formally meeting people and hopefully she will become more active in the game. Its a political intrigue game with Book/Path magic - a system I never played with before and heavily tweaked.

Writing

I have GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits still waiting its turn in playtest behind GURPS Fantasy Folk: Goblins and Hobgoblins (Phil Masters), and GURPS Fantasy Folk: Winged Folk (Anders Starmark) and hope to see it get some eyeballs in April. Who knows though.
I have my next project waiting to pitch, think I need to wait till after my book is done with the Final Draft though. So hopefully I can pitch that by the end of the year. Its going to be short and very light on crunch, a change from most of my material.
Working on a magic system for a friend who wants to do something based on Earth Dawn and Shadowrun but were having trouble (me and another writer) trying to understand what he really wants and help him with it.  However its helping me reevaluate some of my magic systems, especially Affinity Magic which I just rewrote the intro for and had an inspiration on how to streamline two systems into one.  It was loosely based on Book/Path magic and Ritual Magic (Not RPM) with a dash of Realm magic thrown in. I just figured out how to use one system with two different methods of casting that feels like a nice blend of everything.  Now I need to go rewrite my grimoire to work with the changes.
GURPS Powers: Totem and Nature Spirits continues to trickle out a couple of sales each month, after being out for 2 years or so that feels kinda nice. Its a very niche book but an important part of upcoming projects.

Magic

Speaking of my magic systems, I now have at various stages of development: Affinity Magic, Symbol Enchantment, Sigil Magic, Social Magic, Spirit Magic, Shamanic Powers, and Faerie Magic, 
Hopefully you will get to see all of them someday!

General GURPS Stuff

Mook died :( 
Lost several good people these past two years and I am getting rather tired of it. Sadly at this stage of life it just will happen more and more, till its my turn.
Depression from COVID, deaths, struggles with my health, the VA, politics, etc. have made the pat few years very exhausting and its hurt my work on some projects. For example the W23 Digital Speculation Thread got behind because I broke the code and as I was reluctant to ask the owner of the code to fix my mistake it got way behind while I kept tweaking it trying to fix it and I never got over the hump to restart it last year. No one volunteered for this year so I need to get at it.
Gaming Ballistic has released a GREAT Bestiary, and though GURPS has several already this is a very welcome addition and its expansive.
I am eagerly waiting on two other projects to be released that I hope will bring a nice influx of players.

No comments:

Post a Comment