Thursday, June 8, 2017

My take on the Comey Hearing

Sen Kamala Harris said something in the Comey meeting that I wish some others had as clearly stated.
When a robber holds a gun  to your head and says he hopes you hand over your money the operative word is not "hopes".
I experienced something like this myself once.
I was working night shift at a 7-11 and an armed robber stuck a gun in my side when I was making coffee and asked me to go to the register.  He pointed out how unfortunate it would be if anything happened with the kids playing pinball.  He asked me to open the register and give him the money and I made him ask me everything twice so I could later be as clear as possible to the police.
He did not need to tell me he was going to shoot me if I did not give him the money to make the point that was his intent.
Same thing with going into your bosses office with other people, he asks them to leave and you to stay and then tells you something he wants you to do.  He does not have to clearly state it as an order for the intent to be read and the circumstances to be intimidating.
Earlier the year of the robbery I mentioned above another robber had used that defense (I dont recall if it was successful or not) where defense intimated that the victim handed over his wallet but the guy holding a gun on him never explicitly asked for it so it was not a mugging.

Senator James Lankford (R-OK) did a good job, was a little partisan I felt but non balance asked intelligent questions and did not badger or waste Americans time with stupid questions or a speech.

Senator Jack Reed just hit a key point I am surprised took so long.  Bringing up the event where after firing Comey Trump invited the Russian ambassador and media into the oval and told them the pressure was  off. I wish my Senator had done that.

Senator McCain was surprisingly weird in his bit. Seems to conflate the email server investigation with the Russia meddling investigation. I guess he was trying to be partisan but it came across as confused and rather odd.

Overall this went much better than the waste of time the interview the day before with Rosenstein and Coates.

No comments:

Post a Comment